Followers

Saturday, September 1, 2012

DAY AT THE BEACH

 

Note:  This is the second posting of last night’s blog.  Blogger has done it again and I finally bit the bullet and switched it to Live Writer.  Please be patient as I learn how to create a better blog. 

This time, I did a cut and paste of the first posting.  Aligning the photos with the script is my first challenge!  Ohhh, I pray for patience!  So here goes! 

 

To tell you the truth, yesterday was kind of boring.  John wanted to be a beachcomber - again.  I waded in the water a bit and watched the sun and reflections in the water.  The patterns were hypnotic.  I kept thinking how I could recreate them with my felt art.  Still not sure. 

 

 

 I had a visitor as I sat at the edge of the water.  We played a few games of, I will pose if you will be sure to get my "good" side.  Kind of reminiscent of Barbra Streisand and her nose.  As a matter of fact.............there does seem to be a resemblance!  But this old bird does not have the great voice of Barbra. 

Then came Donald and Daffy.  Judy will be able to identify this couple, I am sure. 

I first thought maybe a spoon bill, but decided that the lower beak was just not the right size. 
These two were so content just to cruise along and feed off the bottom (as far as I could tell). 
After we came home, I cut John's hair.  Now, wasn't that an exciting day! 
Today started on at the same level.  Breakfast out, a trip to Sam's and then drove over fifty miles so John could visit a rock / gem shop, The Korner Gem.  Now that is a neat shop. 
www.kornergem.com

Korner Gem - Traverse City, MichiganClick to Learn More about Beachcombers!

      

I did manage to get a pair of earrings out of the deal.  And I found that I do like some rocks when they are polished!    There is a beautiful rock out there.  It is called a Petoskey Stone.  You see a small example of this in the photo labeled “featuring Beachcombers”. 

 

Petoskey stone

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“Unpolished Petoskey stone withcm scale.

A Petoskey stone is a rock and a fossil, often pebble-shaped, that is composed of a fossilized coral, Hexagon aria percarinata.[1] The stones were formed as a result of glaciation, in which sheets of ice plucked stones from the bedrock, grinding off their rough edges and depositing them in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and the northwestern (and some in the northeastern) portion of Michigan's lower peninsula. In some areas of Michigan, complete fossilized coral colony heads can be found.

Petoskey stones are found in the Gravel Point Formation of the Traverse Group. They are fragments of a coral reef that was originally deposited during the Devonian period. [1] When dry, the stone resembles ordinary limestone but when wet or polished using lapidary techniques, the distinctive mottled pattern of the six-sided coral fossils emerges. It is sometimes made into decorative objects. Other forms of fossilized coral are also found in the same location.

In 1965, it was named the state stone of Michigan.”

 

On another note a fellow blogger who is a camp host at Monroe Reservoir (near Brown County State Park) had an escape from death.  You can read about her harrowing experience here.

 

On a last note,  I could use a bit of prayer and good thoughts.  This is the season that I have migraine headaches.  They are bad this year.  When you think of it, send a prayer my way, please. 

 

Please be safe out there on the roads and in your activities.  And God Bless each and every one of you. 

4 comments:

  1. First, thank you for letting your friends know you need prayer for those Horrific headaches. I loe to pray and you are now on my list. When we were on our wedding trip a few years ago, We drove the highway along the edge of all but one of the Great Lakes. I collected some beautiful glass pieces from the waters edge that had been beaten over the years by the rolling rocks of the lakes water. Someone told us they were a "hot" item to collect and make jewelry out of. I kept a few pieces, brought them home, Went to my favorite bead store called "BEAD HAPPY" and they helped me add chain's and clasps and what ever else I needed to make Christmas gifts for the gals on my Christmas list.
    Thank you for reposting your blog. You do such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I have internet access again... ;)

    I need to correct that last comment to say "Ring-billed Gull" not "Duck". That'll teach me to rush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool.
    You know Sir Lancelot?
    Then you must know " The Jules".
    Caron.
    She 's got the Boners in Sogodu with Datil?
    And Gilles and Qelyt?
    Cool.
    You know Arnie , too?
    You got the Hepopadu ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a petoskey stone that I got at Traverse City when I was there years ago. They are very unique.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. We do enjoy hearing from you.