Followers

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

IN SEARCH OF JOHN'S CULINARY PAST


Spam.  My first memory of Spam was after John and I married.  We were living in East Moline, Illinois and John worked as an engineer for Huber, Hunt and Nichols, a large construction firm that was building the John Deere International Headquarters nearby.  

Each day, John would take his lunch and his "meal" of choice was a Spam sandwich.  As I remember, I had never heard of Spam, this meat in a can.   But I do remember the first time I removed the key form the bottom of the can, wound the strip around this rectangular can to expose the delicacy that John so loved.  Eeeuuu.   

Eventually, he convinced me to eat Spam.  

When Bill Osborne of Seeing the USA blogged about his and Kris' trip to the Spam Museum in Austin, Minnesota, I told John about it. John just had to go to the Spam Museum. 
John is a happy camper now!  The personnel welcomed us with smiling faces and a cheery greeting as we entered the lobby of the museum.                                                             Above the entry doors is a rotating world globe surrounded by spam cans.                                               Passing through the lobby we find  photos of recipes, including photos, of meals containing Spam.








From there, we entered the theater to watch a movie about Spam.  Spam does not contain corn, but the movie was full of it.  

Then we toured the display of the making and canning of spam and the history of the Hormel company.  There were some interactive displays to test your skills of Spammanship. I declined.  

John enjoyed the tour, I thought it was one huge commercial!

Three cans of Spam were purchased.  Bacon Spam, Jalapeno Spam, and Hot and Spicy Spam.  Bacon Spam was served by John with our eggs and toast.  Waaaay to salty for my taste.  John was left to eat the rest over the next few days.  

Thanks for joining us today.  If you have enjoyed Spam in your past, or even now, this is a place you would enjoy visiting.  I'd rather be at a Farmer's Market.  

AND thanks to all of you who have been so patient while I get my links to Amazon working.  They are up and working now. When you shop Amazon through our links, we are paid a very small percentage of the sale at no expense to you

Until next time,  God bless y'all!

9 comments:

  1. Its been a long time since I had spam, not so crazy about it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't eat Spam however I dated a guy who loved it like John does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we have to go there! I like SPAM. We don't have it often, too much fat, but I don't think it is much worse than some sausage.

    We have gine to the Mountains, and are cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that they have a museum for the much maligned meat :-) Fried SPAM with eggs or beans were favorites in college, but I agree the saltiness now is nearly too much. Picked up a few things from your Amazon link over the weekend - glad you got that up again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We saw a Spam restaurant in Monterrey, California. We were surprised at that. I wanted to go and see what they had on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit, I like Spam. Maybe it's because when I was growing up I lived only about 20 miles from Austin, MN? Also, we pronounced the name of the factory Hor'mal, not Hor mel'. Did you get into that debate while you were there?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same about Spam as I do about Velveeta and Tang drink. YUK!

    To each their own I say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never did and never will like that meat...I think it is a meat...right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found single servings that Bob uses, Jo does not like Spam.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. We do enjoy hearing from you.